How does your media product represent a particular social group?

17:55


My magazine mainly includes Black artist this is because my genres of music - Hip - Hop/Rap/RnB predominantly originate from black Africans. Hip - Hop came around in the 1970s and was an underground urban movement that was developed in the South Bronx in New York City. R&B which stands for Rhythm and blues originated in the 1940s. The R&B lyrical themes often encapsulate the African-American experience of pain and the quest for freedom and joy. Rap stands for rhythm and poetry and the origins of the phenomenon can be said to pre-date hip-hop culture by centuries. From this the particular social group my magazine represents are young street black Africans. 


Stereotypically, in films we see the young black boys on the streets playing basketball in their fresh trainers, who then go back to their home where they have struggling families  and money problems. In the mainstream media blacks are seen as thugs, criminals and lazy, however that doesn't portray all young black adults I personally think that this stereotype is over too concentrated on and exaggerated. 

The people of my social group are young, street, creative and ambitious. They love music and don't go a day without it and are dedicated to their favourite artist. They don't follow trends they create them. My social group is similar to the artist featured in my magazine. Andrietta is young upcoming but still in school studying A Levels which is how I imagine the consumers of my magazine. So they are confident

The social groups that aren't included in my magazine are those who aren't really into my genre of music. For example those who love pop music might not as they are into all the mainstream music and follow trends whereas my social group create the trends. Also those who love Indie music as they love to be different and they are not exactly defined which is why they are indie. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Featured post

My Final Magazine

Front Cover Contents Page Double Page Spread